Wednesday, December 9, 2009

C...is for Cake!

I'm sorry it's been a while. I've been having some serious laptop issues with downloading pictures. Anyway, I have now completed Advanced Pastries and Showpieces! It was absolutely my favorite class I've taken and the one I was most looking forward to. I really like the artistic side of it and being able to create things with my own designs in mind. I also got to help out on some pretty cool outside projects.

In this class we spent one week each on three different stations: Cake, Sugar, and Chocolate. Not a bad combo right? I spent the first week on cake. That station also makes 2 desserts for the restaurant at school. I found two of my new favorite desserts and probably some of my favorite things we've made. #1 Individual Baked Alaskas made with homemade ice cream. Pretty perfect. And I also really loved Pear Tiviers. It's amazing I haven't put on 20 pounds. Such a sucker for sweets!

We also had three cake projects. And I will put the pictures below, but please be kind...These were my first attempt at any of this! But I was happy with the results and quite a few of my projects have been put in the schools permanent display!

This was my first cake...a birthday cake. It's just a simple one tier with decorators buttercream. The base has piped shells, the top piped scrolls, frosting roses/petals, and of course piped Happy Birthday. Sorry the pictures aren't very good quality.
This was my next cake..a wedding cake! Three tiers of the same cake/frosting. It has a basket weave bottom and top layer, and swiss dot center, shell borders, with yellow buttercream roses. The basket weave is a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is super easy! Here is an upclose shot.


My last cake was a fondant covered cake. The flowers are handmade crysanthemum/water lilies that were a LOT of work! Each flower had 8 layers of petals! I hand painted the leaves to make them look more lifelike and coordinated the whole thing with brown ribbon that has topstitching in blue. Making flowers is so fun!! I love working on cakes. I like the small detail work and making everything just perfect.

A close up of one of the flowers.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Brava Lizzy! I love the last cake.

December 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

I'm having flashbacks to midnight cake decorating adventures. Do you remember? We stayed up until 4am, and yours were PERFECT. Somewhere I think we have pictures. I like to think I was their when you made your cake debut to the world!

xoxo!

December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM  
Anonymous Martha said...

Oh Lizzy, I love all your cakes! The flowers are so pretty. You'll have to help me with the roses, I can never make them right. I'm left-handed, so I always had trouble learning and never really practiced.
You're such a pro! Your cakes are so perfect!!!

December 18, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home