Thursday, October 1, 2009

D...is for Dessert!!!!

This week I started my Baking class and I absolutely LOVE it!! It is so relaxing to me, and really natural. In some ways, a lot like what my days would be like if I wasn't going to school...making cookies and cakes.
We have 3 rotations in baking and I have spent my first one in Desserts. Basically I make all the desserts for the restaurant at school, plus all the cakes for the advanced baking class to decorate, and then a bunch of other things to feed the school during morning break. Initially I was a little worried because I got put in a group I didn't feel very confident in, but we divided out the work and do it individually and it has made a huge difference. Chef said today that he thinks my work is "top notch" and "some of the best work he has ever seen from a student." I sort of feel like it's things I have been making since I was 15, so it's no biggie! I mean how do you screw up cookies? Apparently it happens.
Some of the delicious things I've made this week are: creme brule, chocolate creme brule, angel food cake, devil's food cake, strawberry rhubarb pie, apple pie, oatmeal rasin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, pie crust, lemon pound cake, cheesecake, orange-cranberry sorbet, vanilla caramel ice cream, coca-cola cake, and a bunch of other things I can't remember.
When we make a recipe, we also make A LOT of it. Like 10 dozen cookies at a time or 15 - 8"and 10" cakes. So big quantities and everything has to be measured very precisely. I think one of the things I'm most proud of making this week is the Coca-Cola cake. Chef asked me to make it for the advanced pastry Chef's Wife for her birthday....no pressure right? He also added that he had made the recipe 2 times and once it was great and once it was a total disaster. Luckily it turned out PERFECTLY! I was really happy. : )
I love Baking...I think it is my Happy Place.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

see.. i told you... that's where you will shine! you're an awesome baker!

October 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger Abuelita Castaneda said...

Oh Lizzy! How lucky can you be? Learning to make all those delicious desserts. You mean, you got to taste all of them? After reading your blog, makes me want to start baking all those yummy things I USED to bake!
Keep up the good work. The Coca Cola cake sounds good!

October 4, 2009 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Abuelita Castaneda said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, Abuelita chocolate sure would taste good with your desserts!

October 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home