Monday, September 21, 2009

S....is for Survival!

Well, you may think my absence since the dreaded fish post meant I didn't make it. Perhaps you thought the blood, guts, offal, and bones were just too much for me. Well you were wrong. I did it. Actually twice. Once a flat fish (yellowtail flounder) and then a round fish (hybrid striped sea bass). Not to mention the famed lobster.
I have to say, it probably is one of the grossest things I have ever done. Period. The smell alone. A flounder is a flat fish and actually has both of it's eyes on the same side of it's head...very creepy. I actually felt like it was watching me. Gross.
The roundfish I cut up with surprising efficiency and accuracy. Luckily this one came eviscerated (already gutted). Who knew? 2nd try and I did really well. But don't worry there is a not a career throwing fish at Pike Place anywhere in my future!! There will be a 4 week break before I have to touch a fish again......Do we think that is sufficient time for me to recover???
Oh and the lobster as always was excellent. We cooked them three ways and did a blind taste test of which was best: grilled, steamed, or boiled. Mine one the test (it was steamed over a court bouillon) so I felt proud. We also threw back some raw oysters on the half shell and clams. Shucking is sure fun!
Well I hope I didn't gross you out too much. My pregnant sister said reading the last one almost made her throw up so she had to stop reading. Just think, even grosser than reading about it is doing it. YUCK!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Yea Lizzy!! I knew you could do it! I had been thinking about you all last week, wondering how you were doing.

September 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM  
Anonymous Martha Castaneda said...

I knew you could do it! You're brave!

Keep up the good work!

September 24, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home