Tuesday, November 3, 2009

C...is for Croissants and Conchas!

I know I've been absent from the blog for a while, but things have been busy. Lame, I know. Anyway, I wanted to catch up a little on what has been going on. I finished my baking class and I absolutely loved every minute. I set a new school record on highest score on the test ever. But here are the two things I am the most proud of...

My Croissants were beautiful. Chef said they were textbook, picture perfect. They are pretty tricky to make and use LOTS of butter, but there is nothing better than a homemade croissant fresh out of the oven. It's mostly a process of rolling dough and folding in butter to make all of the little layers, which eventually give it it's puff and flakiness. The little pockets you can see on there are how you know they are made properly. Someday if you are really special....or you give me something really awesome...maybe I'll make you homemade croissants.


The next fave is Conchas. Conchas are a Mexican bread that I have really come to love. They are little "shells" and have a design on the top that looks like a shell. Everytime we are in Mexico I always have to hunt down a panaderia and find some...I LOVE them. We even had a little place in Dallas where we could find them, but it closed. :( Anyway, I thought they would be such a fun thing to learn to make so I asked Chef to teach me. They turned out really well. I wish I had scored the topping (shortening, sugar, flour and food coloring = YUM!) more so it would've cracked more, but they really tasted wonderful. The dishwasher ladies LOVED them and they are both Mexican, so I felt like that was a big compliment.

Anyway, all good things must come to an end and baking did. Luckily Chef has asked me to help him on some outside projects so I will get to keep baking. I am helping make all the desserts/pastry for graduation and also doing a charity Gingerbread House event for the holidays. Should be fun!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting the highest score, that is awesome! And those treats look delish...

November 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

I am not surprised at your wonderful baking skills. Congratulations on your score and scoring with some outside projects!

November 3, 2009 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun, and rocking the class. Way to go! Wish I was closer and could taste some of your delicious creations.
-Shersti

November 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Martha said...

Oh, Lizzy, I'm so proud of you, and your success. Your Croissants are beautiful and look so yummy! If the Mexicanas liked your Conchas, then they have got to be good! I love Conchas, they're the only ones I always get from the Panaderia. I have only made them 1 time, I don't know what I did wrong, but they did not rise. They were little and cute, good, but not good in size and texture. We'll have to make some when you come. OK?

November 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home