Thursday, October 8, 2009

C...is for Challah


So I know I am terrible about posting pictures on this blog. Frankly, we are just moving too fast in the kitchen. Some days I'm lucky if I even get time to taste everything I've made. But today I made sure and snapped up a picture of the Challah bread I made yesterday. It really turned out beautiful.

Challah (the C is silent) is a traditional, sacred Jewish bread. It is meant to symbolize the manna from Heaven that fell in double quantity before the sabbath and holidays. It has a place of ritual and is eaten at each of the Sabbath meals (Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday afternoon.) It is also served on sacred holidays. The ones I made would technically be considered a Turban Challah because of their ring shape. It would traditionally be served at Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) to symbolize the cycle of the new year. Challah is easily recognized by its braided appearance and golden color from the amount of eggs in the dough.

So that's probably way more than you ever wanted to know, but I thought it is really beautiful in appearance and significance and you might enjoy seeing something I actually made myself. :)

And Sorry it is a crappy picture, I snapped it real quick with my iPhone.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Great job Lizzy! Holla for Challah!

October 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Martha said...

It's so pretty! Reminds me of the donuts, I used to buy at H L Green, you know, the bldg. across Neiman Marcus.
I think they were French donuts.
You'll have to bring some recipes!

October 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home